Saturday, 4 February 2012

Pausing in Planning

We had a meeting with the bursar of the school last week and asked if it would be possible to take the children out at the end of this term. Our contract with the school states we have to give a term's notice, but if we could take them out now that would save us another term's fees. He is going to talk to the head and get back to us. It leaves me in limbo slightly as I don't know if I will be beginning to home-school in April or September. Part of me just wants to be able to start as I'm ready to begin a new way of life, but another part of me feels there is something right about them completing the full school year, plus we would then have the long Summer holiday for them to de-school. We'll just have to wait and see what the school says.

I had a little bit of "practice"  of home-schooling the last couple of days as the children are off school sick. Obviously I didn't do as much with them as I would on a normal home-school day, but it was amazing how much we all learnt even whilst ill. That is one of the appeals of home-schooling; that learning always happens even if we're tired or ill.

They each completed a couple of lessons on Reading Eggs, Papaya wrote a short story, we decorated Papaya's colour in doll as Boudica after researching how she would have looked, we baked some muffins and we made some short animations.










These are all things that we do most non-school days anyway, but now I'm thinking about home-schooling I can see more clearly how educational it all is. Reading Eggs we have been using for nearly a year now and the children love it so I will keep up a subscription for that. I'm tempted to try Mathletics too but there is no free trial and we can't afford to subscribe just yet. I did try Education City, but wasn't very impressed as it just seemed to be a way of testing the children on National Curriculum modules rather than teaching them anything new. I think it probably works well as homework tasks for schools but not for home-schooling.

Generally though the last two days left me thinking "well if we can learn and do all that whilst we're ill, just imagine what we can do when we're well!".

No comments:

Post a Comment