Monday, 5 March 2012

Lego.... and the Universe

Well it appears the Universe wants me to home-school!

It has just been Povey's 6th birthday, and unsurprisingly there was a Lego theme to it all. He is just obsessed with it and wants to do nothing else. I've been scouring the internet looking for ways of incorporating it into our home-schooling in September.

I found lots of Lego maths activities including Lego geometry....

 and mathamatical shapes....


A couple of Lego games....



Lego anatomy!

  




I even found a way of incorporating Lego into story writing! Plus of course there is the wonderful blog Lego Quest that offers a monthly challenge and helps Lego fans to stretch their creativity and imagination.

I plan on using aspects from all of these, and as a first step I planned to get hold of a load of Duplo and draw or stick letters and numbers onto them for Povey to use in Maths and English..... which leads me to why I think the Universe wants me to homeschool.

Look what I spotted in our local charity shop....


I actually got a shiver down my spine when I saw the labels on these blue boxes. I opened them up in there to find Duplo letters for spelling and word forming, including punctuation...


..... Duplo numbers and maths symbols for forming mathematical problems....



.....and Duplo pattern blocks to help form and focus, complete with photos of patterns to make....


Each box was only £3 so as you can imagine I snapped them up! Just £9 for everything I wanted, all ready labelled and in boxes! I just can't believe my luck!

1 comment:

  1. We've just done this lapbook as Max is lego mad too.
    http://www.walkingbytheway.com/blog/?p=714285

    A few of the links are out of date, but it gave me a starting point. I'll definitely be nicking a few of your links though!

    ReplyDelete