Friday, 25 October 2013

What Home Education Looks Like - 25th October 2013

One of my favourite parts of home educating is being able to do things when it's nice and quiet and everyone else is at work or school. It's always nice to be at the cinema when there is no-one else around.




This trip was even better though as it was a free screening of The Princess Bride as part of the National Youth Film Festival.


The Princess Bride is one of my all time favourite films and originally came out in 1987 (when I was ten!) but I had never actually seen it on the big screen before. For anyone who doesn't know it, here's a trailer.



In the cinema there was just we two home educating families (two adults, 6 children) and one school group of around 20.... that was it! A shame that more didn't get to see it, but wonderful to hear all the children really laughing and really "getting" the movie. The boys in our party had been unsure about the film, I suspect because the title made it sound "girly", but they loved it and the eldest boy loved spotting all the comedians! We mums mostly enjoyed seeing this on a big screen.....


It was one of those days that I really love home educating. A day out, a cult movie and the chance to look into filmaking, fairytales, comedy etc. and all for free!

Afterwards the children were curious about where the actors were now. They had all recognised Billy Crystal's voice from the Monster's Inc movie. I found this photograph of a recent reunion of the stars to show them.





No comments:

Post a Comment