A heatwave in England somehow managed to coincide with three very busy home ed days!
First the Big Bang fair.... This is a big science and technology fair aimed at children, we have never made it before as it normally takes place in Birmingham, but this year they also did lots of smaller versions around the country and our nearest was Westminster Kingsway College.
We had no idea what to expect, but it was brilliant! Povey was won over the minute we walked in as the first table was building the universe in Lego ;)
From there on we raced around trying to do as much as possible. there was just so much to discover! heat-seeking cameras.....
.....hands-on creatures...
....Rubik's Cube solving robots...
....fun with electricity....
....problem-solving robots you could drive...
...some "Stixx" machines with which you could create robust newspaper rods for building...
...a giant drawing machine, aka a Pantograph with which you could be shrunk down to fit on A4...
.... and even green screen technology, for which Povey had completely the wrong shirt so he swapped to blue screen ;)
That was just half of it too! We stayed right until the end, but had arrived after lunch so only had a few hours. We will definitely allow more time and try and do everything next time.
The very next day we went to The Globe Theatre! I've been eager to see the Globe since it was reconstructed way back in 1997. I can't believe it's taken me until now! As I'm performing in Twelfth Night this summer I have been doing a lot of Shakespeare stuff with the children and so now seemed a good time.
Before going on the our we were able to have a good look around the exhibition...
Once we got on the tour itself I let Papaya take over with the camera...
It was a lovely experience and I'm now desperate to be a "groundling"! I think the children will need to be a little older before they're up to standing for a whole performance though. in the shop afterwards I got them a badge each...
...and a "Manga" version of Twelfth Night (original script with Manga images) to give them a grasp of the play before they see it.
Finally last week we went the Unicorn Theatre to see an exhibition we were booked for called "Ancient Mechanicals". This was a series of counters with hands-on representations of different historical solutions to mechanical problems, such as aqueducts and catapults. All very interesting and it took us a good hour to do it all. first photograph is Papaya pushing the "south-facing machine", wherever you pushed it the Chinese Man on top always pointed South.
In the Foyer afterwards there was a Comedy/Tragedy mask making activity, although Povey also used the materials to fashion himself a gamer tag ;)
The heat made it all much more tiring, but this is exactly the kind of Home ed week I love; busy, busy!
First the Big Bang fair.... This is a big science and technology fair aimed at children, we have never made it before as it normally takes place in Birmingham, but this year they also did lots of smaller versions around the country and our nearest was Westminster Kingsway College.
We had no idea what to expect, but it was brilliant! Povey was won over the minute we walked in as the first table was building the universe in Lego ;)
From there on we raced around trying to do as much as possible. there was just so much to discover! heat-seeking cameras.....
.....hands-on creatures...
....Rubik's Cube solving robots...
....fun with electricity....
....problem-solving robots you could drive...
...some "Stixx" machines with which you could create robust newspaper rods for building...
...a giant drawing machine, aka a Pantograph with which you could be shrunk down to fit on A4...
.... and even green screen technology, for which Povey had completely the wrong shirt so he swapped to blue screen ;)
That was just half of it too! We stayed right until the end, but had arrived after lunch so only had a few hours. We will definitely allow more time and try and do everything next time.
The very next day we went to The Globe Theatre! I've been eager to see the Globe since it was reconstructed way back in 1997. I can't believe it's taken me until now! As I'm performing in Twelfth Night this summer I have been doing a lot of Shakespeare stuff with the children and so now seemed a good time.
Before going on the our we were able to have a good look around the exhibition...
Once we got on the tour itself I let Papaya take over with the camera...
It was a lovely experience and I'm now desperate to be a "groundling"! I think the children will need to be a little older before they're up to standing for a whole performance though. in the shop afterwards I got them a badge each...
...and a "Manga" version of Twelfth Night (original script with Manga images) to give them a grasp of the play before they see it.
Finally last week we went the Unicorn Theatre to see an exhibition we were booked for called "Ancient Mechanicals". This was a series of counters with hands-on representations of different historical solutions to mechanical problems, such as aqueducts and catapults. All very interesting and it took us a good hour to do it all. first photograph is Papaya pushing the "south-facing machine", wherever you pushed it the Chinese Man on top always pointed South.
In the Foyer afterwards there was a Comedy/Tragedy mask making activity, although Povey also used the materials to fashion himself a gamer tag ;)
The heat made it all much more tiring, but this is exactly the kind of Home ed week I love; busy, busy!















































































No comments:
Post a Comment