Tuesday we went to the National Maritime Museum on the recommendation of my friend Sally.
I was expecting the museum to fairly dry and serious, but actually it was packed full of information and things for the children to do.
Papaya's favourite part was the compass card system, where throughout the museum there are stamping machines so you can collect stamps representing stories about the artefacts.
You can then take your card and read the stories on one of their computers or at home. They also loved the "Children's Gallery" perfectly designed for children to learn about life on a ship. With map drawing....
Communication including flags and morse code.....
...... Povey's favourite part, a game where where you got to fire cannons pirate ships.....
......a galley kitchen where you could pretend to prepare meals for the crew....
....and even a crane to have a go at loading the cargo!
We were very impressed and will definitely go back as there was just so much to learn. unfortunately just as we were about to leave and I had taken the children to collect a few last stamps in the East India Company gallery, a guide came over and told me I needed to keep the children quiet as it was disturbing other people..... I wouldn't have minded but the children were being quiet... in fact remarkably so for two lively kids! It was a shame as it left a bitter end to what had been a lovely visit.
I was expecting the museum to fairly dry and serious, but actually it was packed full of information and things for the children to do.
Papaya's favourite part was the compass card system, where throughout the museum there are stamping machines so you can collect stamps representing stories about the artefacts.
You can then take your card and read the stories on one of their computers or at home. They also loved the "Children's Gallery" perfectly designed for children to learn about life on a ship. With map drawing....
Communication including flags and morse code.....
...... Povey's favourite part, a game where where you got to fire cannons pirate ships.....
......a galley kitchen where you could pretend to prepare meals for the crew....
....and even a crane to have a go at loading the cargo!
We were very impressed and will definitely go back as there was just so much to learn. unfortunately just as we were about to leave and I had taken the children to collect a few last stamps in the East India Company gallery, a guide came over and told me I needed to keep the children quiet as it was disturbing other people..... I wouldn't have minded but the children were being quiet... in fact remarkably so for two lively kids! It was a shame as it left a bitter end to what had been a lovely visit.











No comments:
Post a Comment